Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Nicaragua 08 Day Seven

Beach Day!!!

We spent this day at San Juan Del Sur. Another first for Julianna.
What a great beach! The sand isn't perfect white, but there aren't yet crowds, very good waves, and perfect weather this day. It was a little drive from Diriamba, less than two hours, but half of the highway could have been confused with a really bad alley in the States.



The day is starting out great for JLee. Another ride in the back of a pickup to go rent boards.



We are learning that Julianna doesn't do anything without sunscreen. We did multiple coats with many reapplies throughout the day and we survived with only a couple of minor patches. Julianna helped me with my back and I was well covered in a six inch stripe down the middle of my back, I got two red stripes in that area you just can't quite reach yourself. Julianna got two patches about two inches wide just below the swimsuit on her bottom. I suspect the wet swimsuit rinsed the reapplications off, because we were diligent and generous in the sunscreen use. Last year there were many bad burns and we heeded the warning.


Isn't this just adorable. Julianna and Bethany really got the hang of this body boarding sport. It probably helps that they float so well. I sink like a cartoon anvil when I try to catch the top of a wave. These girls at times would just lay on the boards in just an inch of water and the incoming wave would pick them up and carry them all the way in.



Julianna was also set on finding some seashells and we did okay during one nice walk down the beach.



It should come as no surprise that I really enjoyed having Julianna come along on this trip. We had fun, we worked together, and she made me very proud over and over again with how well she handled herself. I'll remember this time together for a very long time.









After awhile I convinced JLee (and Bethany too) to venture out at least waist deep and try to hop onto the waves. They made that look easy too.








Just after cleaning up and drying off, we called home to report on all the fun. Of course, she's in the bed of the truck again.



Dinner


Take a close look. This is the entrance to one of the best restaurants in the world. Really! Sorry, but I can't offer much help in finding the place. It is not far from the beach, but that's all I know.
We pulled up about 4:45 and noticed they didn't open til 6. But we knocked and the woman who owned the restaurant explained that her staff was off for their dinner break, but she would serve us drinks and appetizers while she tried to get them back in. She and her staff provided better than good service and the food surpassed that.



I really enjoy eating outdoors, especially in that weather.


Even Julianna loved her pasta.


After finishing dinner while the rest of us mingled and had desert, Julianna made a friend with another patron. I seem to recall she was from South Africa?? They got along really well. Julianna is really developing quite a talent at making friends.



I have uploaded all of the photos of our trip, good and blurry, into an online album. If you are interested, let me know and I'll send you the link. I think Julianna and I ( and Manny, too) took over 400 photos.



PS. Juan Pablo was the other young man from the Day 5 post whose name I couldn't remember. He and Gabriel and Jose are attending the Bible college. This is great for the local congregation. These are good guys.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I think mom and I should get links by default. ;-)

Not Hertz said...

Amen to that! Send away. We love you both for putting others first. Some adults have never done that.